Why's this page even here?

I decided to start this "log" both to journal my racing trips as the season progresses and to give myself a place to write up my take on certain things in the world of racing. Feel free to leave comments about any of my posts...I'm always up for a good racing discussion. -Matt

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Black Rock 4/25

After checking out the weekend weather forecast and weighing my options, I decided that going to Black Rock Speedway on Friday was my best chance of seeing a race this weekend. It was pretty cloudy, but a decently warm night. Great weather for racing, especially in April. The track conditions seemed to be far better Friday than when I was there for the sprints. Nice and tacky, not a whole lot of ruts or dust.
The heats as well as the feature that the crate DIRT sportsmen put on were great. The two fastest guys in the sportsmen at Black Rock, Brady Fultz (70) and Todd Henderson (18H), started somewhat deep in the pack. The race went green for the entire distance, but watching Fultz and Henderson battle each other as well as battle past the top two runners was really something to see. The high side was the place to be as is always the case at Black Rock, but Fultz and Henderson were forced to use the bottom on their way to the front. In the end, Fultz got through traffic better and sailed off to the victory. In the modifieds, Dave Dubois started on the front row, took the lead, and never looked back. Like always though, I had my eye on the #2B of Ron Cartwright. He was climbing rapidly through the field and by the caution that flew just past halfway, he was up to somewhere around 5th. Then on the restart, he just didn't go and pulled into the pits shortly thereafter as a caution came out. Whatever the problem was, it seemed to be fixed when he rejoined the field, but it was too little too late. In the late models (super stocks) Jeremy Wonderling walked on the field in his #3J. That car looked like a Super Late Model among super stocks. I'm sure he'll have much stiffer competition next Friday when the BRP Can-Am 360 Late Models roll in to Black Rock.

Speaking of the BRP Can-Am 360 Late Models, I'll be checking out their race next Friday (5/2) at Black Rock. Should be a good show with all the cars and stars of the tour including Jeff Chesebro, Jeremy Wonderling, Jimmy Johnson, Rich Michael, Randy Hall, and Bruce Miller just to name a few. I'll also be watching Kyle Inman who will be making his first ever Can-Am start. I race r/c cars with Kyle. Then Sunday next week it'll be off to Oswego Speedway for the first MSA/Oswego Wings Challenge race for the winged supermodifieds. I'm taking three friends who've never experienced the supers before and I'm sure they'll be hooked afterward. I can't wait to smell some methanol and see some real speed!

No comments: